Private Health Insurance classification of MBS items – 1 March 2024
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
The ‘Private Health Insurance classification of MBS items 1 March 2024’ (the ‘PHI Spreadsheet’) released on 9 February, is derived from the MBS XML Data file ‘MBS-XML-20240301 (XML 8002 KB)’ released on 2 February 2024, effective 1 March 2024.
Reflected in the ‘PHI Spreadsheet’ are MBS 1 March 2024 changes to the General Medical Services Table (GMST) and the Diagnostic Imaging Services Table (DIST).
Key MBS item changes of potential interest to stakeholders are summarised below, and outlined in the MBS Online - March 2024 News:
- Orthopaedic services item changes will include 30 new items and 86 amended items.
- Psychiatry services item changes which will insert, amend and delete items to provide more flexible arrangements, strengthen the intent of the services and clarify and remove obsolete terms from items.
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery item changes include 14 amend items to ensure the appropriate provision of the specified services in hospital settings only.
- Cleft and Craniofacial Services item changes related to cleft dental and modernise the clinical practise for treating patients with cleft and craniofacial conditions
- Other changes to the General Medical Services Table and Diagnostic Imaging Services Table
Further information including fact sheets and quick reference guides is at MBS Online.
PHI Spreadsheets reflect the assignment of MBS items by clinical category and procedure type set out in the Private Health Insurance Legislation Amendment Rules for 1 March 2024 which will be published on the Federal Register of Legislation following the finalisation of regulatory approval processes. Details of the changes will be available in the Explanatory Statement that will accompany the Amendment Rules.
Formal notification of the Amendment Rules registration from the Department of Health and Aged Care will be via Private Health Insurance Circular.
Subscribe for notification of new Circulars using Health’s Latest News RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed.
Receive notification of updates to PHI Spreadsheets, and other PHI information, by emailing PHI@health.gov.au requesting subscription to the email newsletter.
For previous versions of PHI Spreadsheet publications, review the Private health insurance clinical category and procedure type collection, or visit the National Library's web archive.