National Cervical Screening Program – How to collect your own sample
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
How to collect your own sample:
- You’ll be provided with a private space to collect your sample.
- Twist the cap and remove the swab from the tube. Hold on to the cap and do not touch the end of the swab.
- Gently move the folds of skin around your vagina with your other hand. Insert the swab a few centimetres into your vagina.
- Rotate the swab gently for 10–30 seconds.
- Gently remove the swab from your vagina. Place the swab back into the tube, screw the cap back on and give it back to your healthcare provider.
- Your healthcare provider will send your sample to a pathology laboratory to be tested.
Part of a collection: