Framework to guide the secondary use of My Health Record system data
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
This framework outlines how information in My Health Record can be used for research, policy and planning purposes, including:
- de-identified My Health Record data
- identifiable My Health Record data, with the consent of the healthcare recipient.
The framework also states ways My Health Record data cannot be used, including for:
- commercial and/or non-health-related purposes
- provision to insurance agencies
- clinical trials recruitment (until an explicit consent mechanism becomes available).
The framework was informed by a national public consultation process and reflects expectations of how information within My Health Record should, or could, be used. The Consultation Summary Report outlines the findings.
The framework will be reviewed regularly to ensure the use of My Health Record data remains appropriate. A review will take place no later than 2 years after the first dataset is released to be used for research and public health purposes.
The My Health Record Data Governance Board will use this framework when assessing applications to use data for research and public health purposes.