Australian National Diabetes Strategy 2016–2020
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
This high-level strategy contains several goals and potential areas for action, and ideas for ways to reach each goal. It:
- prioritises Australia’s response to diabetes, and the complications and comorbidities of diabetes
- describes ways to help reduce the negative effects of diabetes.
The strategy aims to:
- review current diabetes services and care
- maximise the use of existing, limited healthcare resources
- better coordinate healthcare resources across all levels of government
- focus resources where they are needed the most.
The strategy does not replace or override existing any processes that the Australian healthcare system already uses. The strategy presents ways for states and territories to work with the Australian Government, to develop and support approaches for diabetes prevention and management.