About the Health Workforce Locator
The locator shows the health workforce classification and geographical information of any area.
You can see the workforce classifications:
- Distribution Priority Area (DPA)
- District of Workforce Shortage (DWS)
- Modified Monash Model
- The Australian Statistical Geography Standard - Remoteness Area
- The Australian Standard Geographical Classification - Remoteness Area
- Rural, Remote and Metropolitan Areas
The annual update of the DPA and DWS classification systems is in progress.
Using the locator
Enter an address in the form to find information on the area, including its classification and available incentives for the health workforce.
You can also go to the map and search for a location to see its classifications.
DPA status updates
Medical practices can request a review of the DPA status of their GP catchment if exceptional circumstances are affecting access to services.
DPA status granted because of a review will remain in place until the annual DPA update each year.