Role of stoma associations
Stoma associations distribute appliances and products listed on the Stoma Appliances Scheme Schedule to ostomates.
The role of a stoma association is to:
- set a membership fee each year and offer an instalment payment option for ostomates in financial hardship
- sign up new members and send new member details to Services Australia
- help members order their supplies
- buy stoma appliances and products and supply them to members either via collection or post
- seek reimbursement from Services Australia each month.
Stoma Appliance Scheme operational guidelines
Membership of the scheme
Stoma associations must:
- be a member of the Australian Council of Stoma Associations
- have the ability to administer the scheme
- have a membership base which provides for financial viability
- provide ostomy support
- operate from appropriate premises
- electronically order products, and submit electronic claims in a format approved by Services Australia
- meet payment integrity requirements by Services Australia and the Department
- comply with reporting requirements
- comply with the guidelines.
The Stoma Appliance Scheme Schedule lists all of the stoma products and appliances that are subsidised under the scheme. The online tool allows the stoma association to search and filter
It is the responsibility of the stoma association to provide ostomates with no more than the maximum quantity, unless they meet the additional requirements shown in the operational guidelines.
If stoma association members would like a new product to be added to the schedule they can ask the product supplier to apply to the Stoma Product Assessment Panel.
Current suppliers are:
- 3M Australia
- Australasian Medical and Scientific
- Bosco Medical Australia
- Calmoseptine Australia
- Dansac Australia
- DB Health
- Ebos Healthcare Group
- Future Environmental Services (HOS-Stoma)
- Halyard Australia
- Hollister Australia
- JD Healthcare Group (Statina Healthcare)
- New Medical
- Nice Pak Products
- Smith & Nephew
- Stoma Hernia Support Wear
- Sutherland Medical