About the Researcher Exchange and Development within Industry initiative
The Researcher Exchange and Development within Industry (REDI) initiative will invest $4 million in 2022-23 to provide researchers with:
- industry placements
- exchange programs
- exposure to entrepreneurialism
- skills in research translation and commercialisation
- a diverse range of experiences beyond the research lab.
Why it is important
Australia’s medical technology, biotechnology and pharmaceutical sector supports tens of thousands of Australian jobs and contributes billions to the Australian economy. Its future is dependent on the skills of its workforce.
Critical gaps that inhibit the development of an industry-ready workforce need to be addressed in order for Australia’s medical technology, biotechnology and pharmaceutical workforce to meet future demands and to keep pace with a rapidly changing environment. The challenge of developing and retaining world-class research talent who have industry experience in research translation, clinical development, and commercialisation has to be confronted if Australia is to unlock the value of its leading health and medical research.
The objective of this initiative is to foster partnerships between industry, universities, registered training organisations and governments, and strengthen Australia’s success in research translation and commercialisation.
This initiative aims to strengthen Australia’s ability to turn research ideas into realities by:
- developing partnerships between the research world and industry
- providing researchers with a wide range of experiences and exposure to the business world, broadening their working experience, and helping researchers understand how to commercialise their research (develop ideas into real products that can benefit Australia).
Meeting our objectives
We will monitor the initiative in accordance with the principles and approach detailed in the MRFF Monitoring, evaluation and learning strategy.
Who we work with
The Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) funds the initiative.
Our Health and Medical Research Office oversees this and other MRFF initiatives.
The Department of Industry, Science and Resources administers this initiative.
MTPConnect delivers the initiative. Visit the MTPConnect website to learn about:
- REDI training and education provider opportunities
- the REDI Fellowship Program
- the Skills Gaps Addressed by the REDI initiative.
Apply for funding
View the MRFF grants calendar to see which grants are open, when applications close and when we expect to award funding.
Register with GrantConnect to receive notifications about future funding opportunities under this initiative.
See a list of all MRFF grant recipients.
For more information, contact us.