About the system
The system collects information on suicide and self-harm. It is helping us get a comprehensive, up-to-date, national view of suicide, suicide attempts and self-harm behaviours.
The insights we gain from the system will:
- inform national policy to reduce suicide and self-harm
- identify information gaps at the state and national level
- highlight emerging trends
- identify vulnerable at-risk groups in our community.
The system forms part of our response to the Fifth National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan.
Why it is important
Suicide is the number one cause of death for Australians aged 15 to 49 years. It is the third leading cause of premature death from injury or disease.
Suicide and self-harm rates are disproportionally higher among some groups, including:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- people living in remote areas
The system aims to strengthen our knowledge and understanding of suicide and self-harm, including at-risk groups and regions. This will help us:
- develop relevant and effective suicide prevention policies, programs and interventions
- deliver tailored services that meet the individual needs of individuals and groups who need support
- reduce the rates of suicide and self-harm in Australia
- track our progress over time.
Meeting our goals
The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare analyses and releases freely available national and state-level data and insights based on the information collected.
A stronger understanding of the nature and extent of suicide and self-harm will help us in our national efforts to reduce suicide and self-harm.
Who we work with
We work with the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare and the National Mental Health Commission to link existing data collections – such as from ambulance crews and hospital emergency departments.
Get help now
In an emergency, call 000.
Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anywhere in Australia. If you need help now, call:
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
- Mental Health Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team in your state/territory
- Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636.
Find a list of services that can help you right now at Head to Health