An annual health assessment is a comprehensive assessment of a patient. It is a structured way of identifying health issues and conditions that are preventable.
There is strong evidence that these assessments are an effective way to identify unmet health needs in people with intellectual disability.
The Comprehensive Health Assessment (CHAP) tool is an evidence-based tool for carrying out annual health assessments for people with intellectual disability in Australia.
This project will focus on making the Comprehensive Health Assessment Program (CHAP) tool freely available to:
- people with intellectual disability
- their families and carers
- disability service providers
- support workers
- practice nurses
- general practitioners (GPs).
Health and disability sectors should share responsibility for ensuring that annual health assessments are completed.
This project is a priority of the National Roadmap for Improving the Health of People with Intellectual Disability.
We have invested $6.7 million to improve uptake of annual health assessments for people with intellectual disability.
This project aims to:
- increase uptake of annual health assessments by people with intellectual disability
- increase use of the CHAP tool by people with intellectual disability, their supporters, and GPs providing annual health assessments
- provide more comprehensive health plans for people with intellectual disability that include:
- action on health promotion and disease prevention
- improved disease detection and management
- improve communication about health between:
- primary health care providers
- people with intellectual disability, their families and carers, support workers and disability service providers.
We have obtained a permanent licence to update and publish the CHAP tool. We will:
- publish the CHAP tool on our website
- ensure people with intellectual disability and their supporters are aware of and can access the CHAP tool and annual health assessments
- integrate the CHAP tool into GP software.
We are currently reviewing the CHAP tool. In the meantime, you can access the CHAP tool through the UniQuest eshop. It is free for use in Australia.
For more information about the annual health assessments, please contact the Department of Health and Aged Care.