The National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research 2023 (National Statement) is for use by:
- any researcher conducting research with human participants
- any member of an ethical review body reviewing that research
- those involved in research governance
- potential research participants.
It will replace the 2007 National Statement (updated in 2018) on 1 January 2024. This timeframe is to give researchers, research offices and Human Research Ethics Committees the opportunity to:
- familiarise themselves with the new guidance
- make necessary adjustments to policies and processes.
Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) grant agreements require all grant recipients to comply with the National Statement.