The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) is a whole of life, national immunisation register, which records vaccines given to all people in Australia. This includes:
- COVID-19 vaccines
- vaccines given under the National Immunisation Program (NIP)
- privately given vaccines, such as for seasonal influenza or travel.
Mandatory reporting of vaccinations to the AIR commenced in February 2021 for:
- COVID-19 vaccines given on or after 20 February 2021
- influenza vaccinations given on or after 1 March 2021.
Further legislative changes mean that from 1 July 2021, vaccination providers are now also required to report to the AIR all NIP vaccines given.
Reporting these vaccinations to the AIR means that the register contains a complete and reliable dataset and is able to monitor immunisation coverage and administration. It also means that individuals have a complete record of their vaccinations.
Vaccines listed on the NIP Schedule are included in the National Immunisation Program schedule for all people. NIP vaccines are also available for individuals in particular circumstances.
The Australian Immunisation Register Rule 2015 lists the specific vaccines, the data elements to report, and how and when to report these. These include:
- relevant vaccines: COVID-19 vaccines, influenza vaccines and NIP vaccines
- how to report: electronic, or if this is not reasonably practical then in written form
- when to report: within 24 hours, and no more than 10 working days after the vaccination.
- personal information: Medicare number (if applicable), name, contact details, date of birth, gender
- vaccine information: brand name, dose number and batch number, date given, for COVID19 vaccines - vial serial number (if known)
- provider information: provider number, name and contact details.
Health professionals should use the latest version of their clinical software to make sure they meet reporting requirements. We continue to work with Services Australia to help software developers and vaccination providers meet their reporting obligations.
The legislative changes do not make having a vaccine mandatory, only that vaccination providers must report vaccines they have given.
Learn more about what personal information is collected in the AIR and how this information can be used and disclosed.
For help with reporting to the AIR:
For information about mandatory reporting obligations: