Working at Health and Aged Care is challenging, rewarding and a worthwhile investment in your career.
Before you apply
- You must be an Australian citizen at the time an offer of employment is made
- You must satisfy the mandatory components of roles as specified in the candidate pack. These may include required qualifications and/or clearances
Should you be offered a role at Health and Aged Care you will have to undergo a number of pre-employment checks. These may include:
- a pre-employment Health Assessment (we will facilitate this)
- a police records check
- providing evidence of:
- security clearance
If you have a disability
We welcome applications for skilled achievers with a disability. We have a number of initiatives and action plans to support an inclusive and diverse workforce.
Select the job you wish to apply for
View our current vacancies
Understand the job vacancy on offer
Before you start a new application, make sure you review the job vacancy’s application kit for:
- full details on the job vacancy (such as classification, location and salary range)
- eligibility requirements
- the responsibilities and capabilities required for the job
- any limitations or guidelines for the application response (for example the number of pages allowed)
- the contact officer for questions about the position.
You should become familiar with:
- the Department of Health and Aged Care — read about us
- the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) — learn about work level standards
- The Australian Public Service (APS) — all employees must comply with the APS values and code of conduct.
For tips on applying for a job in the public service, you can also view the Cracking the code fact sheets.
Respond within the time allowed
Each job vacancy in the current vacancies list will show the closing date (date and time) for applications. Applications will not be accepted after a job vacancy has been closed.
Write your application
We recommend you respond to the specific requirements of the role (key responsibilities and key capabilities) in a Microsoft Word document. This may be selection criteria, a one page pitch, or a statement of claims. When you have finished, you may need to upload this document, or cut and paste your responses into the required fields.
When you write your application response:
- structure your response to demonstrate your relevant skills, capabilities and experience
- write in a clear and concise manner
- use correct spelling and grammar
- keep under any limits for the response (number of pages, words)
- don’t use double spacing between sentences or double returns between paragraphs as these are counted as words
For more help on writing application responses, view the APSC fact sheet Addressing selection criteria.
Our online recruitment system (and application form) is accessed from the current vacancies list.
To apply, you will need to provide:
- personal details such as phone number and address
- an up-to-date CV or resumé
- written responses to the role requirements
- details of 2 work referees, ideally including your current supervisor
Register with our recruitment system
If you are using our online recruitment system for the first time, you will need to register:
- Select ‘Start New Application’
- Follow the prompts to create a login. Enter your full name, email address, password and some personal details.
You will receive an email to your nominated email address confirming your registration and login details.
Start your application
Login to the online recruitment system using the ‘Login’ button at the top, right hand side of the current vacancies page.
Find the job vacancy you want to apply for and select the ‘start a new application’ link.
Edit your application
You can edit your application by clicking the ‘access existing application’ link or logging in. You can edit your application up to the closing time.
Submit your application
You can submit your application up to the closing time. Once you submit you will receive an email to your nominated email address. Copies of emails will also be kept in the system for your records.
If we need to update you about the selection process, we will usually tell you by email.
If you have any questions about a vacancy you can also contact the person named in the job advertisement.