To participate on the AMDS Program, you must:
- hold temporary or permanent residency in Australia
- be a non-vocationally recognised doctor actively working towards fellowship with the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM) or Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
- hold limited, provisional, or general medical registration with the Medical Board of Australia
- hold a current Level 1 Advanced Life Support course certificate
- have at least 2 years of postgraduate experience, such as in paediatrics, accident and emergency, medicine and surgery.
If we approve your application, we will grant you an initial placement of 2 years. You must then apply for an extension every year. We will only grant extensions if you are actively working towards your fellowship.
The maximum participation period is 10 years.
You can work for more than one AMDS service provider at a time. Talk to your service provider if you are taking part in another workforce or training program, and wish to participate in the AMDS program.
How to apply
You can apply any time by:
- discussing work opportunities with an AMDS service provider
- submitting a completed application form to your chosen service (do not send your application to us) – use this form for a new application or an extension application
- submitting a completed declaration of exceptional circumstances if you have not been actively progressing towards fellowship.
Your service providers will assess your application against the program requirements and apply to us for your placement.
We will make the final decision on your eligibility to participate, and advise your service provider of the outcome.
Changes to the fellowship pathway
From 1 January 2022, candidates wanting to sit the RACGP fellowship exams must have participated in a college-led training program. The AMDS program does not meet this requirement.
From 1 July 2023, the After Hours Other Medical Practitioners (AHOMPs) program will end. After this time, access to the general practice Medicare items will only be available to:
- vocationally-recognised doctors (those with fellowship)
- participants of selected college training programs.