Privacy notice for the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme – patients
Find out how we manage any personal information we collect about you when you apply for the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme (NEBDS).
When this privacy notice applies
This privacy notice applies when you complete an application form for the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme (NEBDS).
This notice explains how the NEBDS administrator (on behalf of the Australian Government Department of Health) manages personal information consistent with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
Information we collect
We collect personal information about you, including your:
- date of birth
- Medicare number
- contact details
- any concession cards you hold
- diagnosis, follow-up schedule and dressing requirements
Why we collect this information
We need this information to:
- determine if you are eligible to receive subsidised products and other support under the NEBDS
- provide products and support available under the NEBDS to approved applicants
If you do not provide your personal information, we may not have the information we need to:
- decide if you are eligible
- provide you with products and support under the NEBDS
How we collect this information
We collect your personal information via the program’s application form:
- directly from you, and
- from your approved health care professional
Who we disclose your personal information to
We may disclose your information to:
- Services Australia (Medicare) to check your eligibility
- anyone you’ve agreed we can share with
- anyone the law requires us to share with
We are unlikely to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
How we store your information
The NEBDS administrator will store your information electronically in secure databases. If we are required to keep hard copy documents, they are stored in secure filing systems. Only authorised NEBDS administrator staff have access to your personal information. When we no longer need it, or when required by law, we will destroy or de-identify your information.
How we handle sensitive information
By submitting the application form, you agree to us collecting sensitive information about:
- your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent (optional question)
- medical diagnosis
- medical dressing requirements
We will use it as stated in ‘Why do we collect this information?’
How you can access or correct your information
Concerns and complaints
- the Australian Privacy Principles, or
- the Australian Government Agencies Privacy Code
More on privacy
For more information see:
National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme administrator
Contact the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme (NEBDS) administrator for help with the costs of epidermolysis bullosa (EB) treatment.
Departmental privacy enquiries
Contact to find out more about privacy within the department, or to make a privacy enquiry or complaint