Tobacco control legislation
Our tobacco control legislation includes:
- Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992
- Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Regulation 1993
- Tobacco Plain Packaging Act 2011
- Tobacco Plain Packaging Regulations 2011
We have been reviewing this legislation to make sure that it:
- is still effective
- responds to changes in technology.
What we are reviewing
The review is looking at:
- what is working well in the current legislation
- what, if any, changes we can make to the legislation
- whether any provisions in the legislation are redundant
- whether any parts of the legislation are overcomplicated, ambiguous or unclear
- whether regulations can be simpler and easier to enforce
- any other aspects of tobacco control that the Australian Government should consider and prioritise.
How we review this legislation
We involve a range of stakeholders when we review legislation.
For this review process we:
- opened a publicly available online consultation from January to March 2019
- ran a series of stakeholder workshops from May to July 2019.
You can view the public submissions and read the outcomes of the process on our Consultation Hub.