Aged care services in Australia
The Australian Government subsidises aged care in Australia, including:
- information services
- assessment services
- aged care services
- related support services
All aged care providers have a responsibility to provide quality aged care services.
Levels of service
You can provide subsidised aged care services at 3 levels. These are:
- entry level support at home
- more complex support for older people who are able to continue living independently in their own homes with assistance
- a range of care options and accommodation for older people who are unable to continue living independently in their own home
Residential aged care services
Residential aged care is for senior Australians who cannot continue living independently in their own home. Aged care homes have a range of care options and accommodation.
Aged care homes can also provide respite care, short-term planned care, or emergency residential aged care.
Help at home services
Help at home assists older Australians who are able to keep living in their own home, but need some help.
Help at home is offered through:
Flexible care services
There are different types of flexible care, depending on the person’s needs. They all help with day-to-day tasks, and to restore or maintain independence.
Flexible care is for care recipients who need a different approach than what residential and home care can offer.
Flexible care is offered through:
- the Transition Care Programme
- the Short-Term Restorative Care Programme (STRC)
- Multi-Purpose Services (MPS)
- the Innovative Care Programme
- the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Carer Program
- respite care
Continuity of Support services
The Continuity of Support (CoS) Programme provides continuity of support to older people with disability who are currently receiving state-managed specialist disability services, but who are not eligible for the NDIS.
Private care services
The Australian Government does not subsidise private providers. People have to pay the full cost of these services.