Health Funding Facts
Health Funding Facts shows how much hospital, Medicare and medicines funding your local hospital network and electorate receive from the Australian Government.
What is Health Funding Facts?
The Australian Government is providing record investment in health care across hospital funding, Medicare services and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
Health Funding Facts is an online tool you can use to find out how your local area is benefiting from:
- Hospital funding
- Medicare funding
- Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) funding
- This information is intended as a general guide only. Please contact your local hospital directly for the latest advice on the services available. In a health emergency, dial 000.
- Hospital funding amounts from 2019–20 onwards are based on the spending estimates as published in the Australian Government’s 2019–20 Budget.
- Hospital funding amounts for years up to and including 2018–19 are based on the states’ and territories’ annual National Health Reform Agreement funding entitlement from the Australian Government for hospital activity delivered in each financial year. These amounts may differ from cash amounts recorded as having been paid in the relevant financial year.
- MBS funding projected amounts are based on the spending estimates for the medical benefits portion of the Medicare Guarantee Fund as published in the Australian Government’s 2019-20 Budget.
- PBS funding projected amounts are based on the spending estimates for the pharmaceutical benefits portion of the Medicare Guarantee Fund as published in the Australian Government’s 2019-20 Budget.
- The appropriate Local Hospital Network given for a postcode has been calculated as being the shortest straight-line distance from the central point of a postcode to the nearest public hospital, and may not be representative of the nearest public hospital by actual travel time.
- No liability is accepted for any decisions made on the basis of the estimated figures provided on this site.
- For more information about your local hospital go to the MyHospitals website.
- For Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) information, patients have been allocated to Commonwealth Electoral Division (CED) based on their postcode utilising a correspondence file produced by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). In some cases a postcode may be split across two or more CEDs, in which case script, benefit and patient counts are allocated proportionately amongst the CEDs.
- For comparison of PBS and MBS data across financial years, historical data is based on 2016 electoral boundaries.