Program information for patients and care recipients

Transition care provides short-term care for older people to help them recover after a hospital stay. Find out about the program, who is eligible and how to apply.

Who can access transition care

Any older person who has been admitted to a public or private hospital can access transition care. This includes recipients of Hospital in the Home (HITH) care.

What kind of care is available

Service providers can deliver care which:

  • meets your daily care needs
  • provides additional therapeutic care
  • maintains or improves physical, cognitive, and psycho-social functioning
  • improves the capacity for independent living.

For more information about the types of transition care available, see the My Aged Care website.

When you can access transition care

You can access transition care upon discharge from hospital.

Where transition care can be provided

You can receive transition care in:

  • aged care homes
  • your home or domestic dwelling
  • a combination of the two.

Apply for transition care

To apply for transition care, you must get an assessment with an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). To organise an assessment, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

Assessments can be requested by:

  • yourself
  • a hospital
  • a family member or carer.

You may be eligible if you are an older person and:

  • a patient in a public or private hospital (including recipients of Hospital in the Home care)
  • have been told that you are ready to leave hospital
  • would benefit from receiving restorative care services for a short period of time.

Eligible recipients who receive care in a residential setting must enter transition care within 24 hours of discharge from hospital.

Eligible recipients who receive care in their home must enter transition care within 48 hours of discharge from hospital.

For additional information on the application process, see the My Aged Care website.

Breaks from care

During your transition care period, you are entitled to 7 break days. You can take break days individually or consecutively. However, break days will count toward your total care period and are included in any recipient contribution fees.

You can use your breaks for hospital admissions or social purposes.

You cannot use your breaks for respite care or to extend the length of your care period.

For more information about breaks from transition care, see the transition care programme guidelines.


My Aged Care

If you need some help around the house or think it’s time to look into aged care homes, My Aged Care is here to help. Visit the My Aged Care website to find information about how to access aged care services. You can also call Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm, and Saturday, 10 am to 2 pm.

Transition and innovative care contact

Email us if you have questions about the Transition Care Programme or the Innovative Care Programme.
Date last updated:

Help us improve

If you would like a response please use the enquiries form instead.