How the AGPT Program is funded
Australian Government funding for the AGPT Program covers the cost of your training.
You will have to pay your own:
- application fees
- assessment fees
- college membership costs.
Who manages the training
The Australian College of Remote and Rural Medicine (ACRRM) and Royal Australian College of General Practice (RACGP) manage the training.
The GP college you apply through will assess your application. The Department of Health does not assess applications.
Learn more about how the ACRRM or RACGP assess applications.
Your college will also award your fellowship if you successfully complete your training.
Your college also delivers your training. They:
- conduct your entry interviews
- deliver training in line with college requirements
- organise your placements in their accredited facilities
- offer support and advice on training programs and requirements
- work with you to plan your learning
- help you identify, review and meet your goals.
An experienced GP will supervise your training during placements. Learn more about GP supervisors from the college of your choice.
How we govern the program
We have policies to support every part of the AGPT Program. You must follow these policies throughout your training.
We know that circumstances can change. Our policies tell you when we can be flexible so you can finish your training.
Who we work with on the program
As well as the GP colleges, other groups with an interest in the AGPT Program include:
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency – implements the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme
- Australian Medical Association – promotes the professional needs of doctors
- Australian Medical Council – makes sure medical education, training and assessment promote and protect the health of Australians
- General Practice Registrars Australia – supports GP registrars in Australia
- GP Supervisors Australia – GP supervisors help registrars through their training
- Rural Doctors Association of Australia – many AGPT participants will work in rural areas.
Find out how to apply for the AGPT Program.