More funding for registered nurses
Aged care residents will benefit from having a registered nurse on site at all times from 1 July 2023. Additionally, mandatory care time requirements in residential aged care will be increased to an average 215 minutes per resident per day, including 44 minutes from a registered nurse from 1 October 2024.
To deliver these new requirements, we will provide:
- a new supplement to providers, to assist in meeting additional registered nurse costs from 1 July 2023
- an increase in the Australian National Aged Care Classification (AN-ACC) Daily Basic Subsidy from 1 October 2024.
Residential aged care providers will be required to report monthly to the Department of Health and Aged Care on times when a registered nurse is not on site.
24/7 nurses and 215 care minutes - $2.5 billion over 4 years
New registration scheme for personal care workers
A new national registration scheme for personal care workers will set clear expectations by implementing:
- a Code of Conduct that will begin on 1 December 2022
- worker screening
- ongoing training and English proficiency.
The scheme will align with the NDIS worker screening model, increasing efficiency and flexibility across the care and support sector.
Establish a registration scheme for personal care workers - $3.6 million over 1 year.
Training to deliver better food
Aged care staff will be trained to serve better food to aged care residents.
The Maggie Beer Foundation will build sector capability, training key aged care staff on how to source, prepare and serve more nutritious and appetising food. Basic and advanced courses including, online modules and in-person programs will be free-of-charge. These modules will incorporate cultural diversity and texture modification requirements.
The training package will complement other food and nutrition improvements including:
- menu assessments by dietitians in aged care homes
- strengthened reporting requirements for aged care homes
- a dedicated food and nutrition standard.
Better food for aged care residents - $5 million over 3 years.