Advice for the aged care sector during COVID-19
Find up to date information and advice on COVID-19 for aged care providers, aged care workers and people who receive residential or home care.
- Protecting Older Australians
Read the latest COVID-19 updates and advice for protecting older Australians in aged care.
- Grief and trauma support and advice for the aged care sector
These services provide grief and trauma support for those living, working and caring in the aged care sector, who have been impacted by COVID-19.
- Rapid antigen testing
Learn about how we’re deploying rapid antigen testing for COVID-19 into aged care to ensure we’re protecting the health of senior Australians.
The National COVID-19 aged care plan
The updated National COVID-19 Aged Care Plan consolidates the critical work already undertaken by the Commonwealth and State and Territory Governments in responding to COVID-19 in aged care.
Aged care visitor restrictions
Visitation arrangements must comply with state and territory directions. Use the ‘Tiered Escalation’ model to determine the required level of visitation and other restrictions.
Aged care peak bodies and consumer advocacy groups have released the Industry Code for Visiting Residential Aged Care Homes during COVID-19. The code is a nationally consistent approach enabling people to visit residents safely during the pandemic.
Aged care reporting and reviews
- The national figures for cases in aged care including the number of confirmed cases in Australian residential care.
- The weekly report provides national data on the impact of COVID-19 in residential aged care facilities.
- Reviews of COVID-19 outbreaks in residential aged care.
For older Australians, residents and carers
- People in residential facilities
Information on vaccinations, admission to facilities during COVID-19, emergency leave and receiving visitors.
- Older people
Information on how to protect yourself from COVID-19, access to medical appointments, medicine, food, meals, wellbeing support and support available for carers.
- In-home aged care services during COVID-19
Older Australians who need support at home can still access in-home care services during COVID-19. Read about how home care packages and Commonwealth Home Care Support Programme services have changed in response to COVID-19.
- We have a number of resources available in more than 60 languages.
- The Department of Home Affairs and Victorian Multicultural Commission also provide a wide range of translated COVID-19 resources.
For providers of aged care
Immediate outbreak response
You must contact your state or territory public health unit immediately to report positive COVID-19 cases in either staff members or care recipients
- Australian Capital Territory – (02) 5124 9213 After Hours: 02 9962 4155
- New South Wales – 1300 066 055
- Northern Territory – 08 8922 8044
- Queensland – 13 432 584 (13 HEALTH)
- South Australia – 1300 232 272
- Tasmania – 1800 671 738
- Victoria – 1300 651 160
- Western Australia – 08 9222 8588 or 08 6373 2222 (if confirmed COVID-19)
You can also contact the Australian Government Department of Health at agedcareCOVIDcases [at] health.gov.au for assistance.
Advice for aged care providers
- Managing a COVID-19 outbreak in aged care
Understand what an outbreak is, what you must do if one occurs, and what resources you can access to help manage the outbreak effectively.
- Preparing for COVID-19 in residential care
Read about preventing COVID-19 cases, accessing personal protective equipment, implementing entry restrictions and screening protocols, training your staff, and accessing resources.
- Preparing for COVID-19 in-home care
Access a guide for providing home care during COVID-19, and information for your workers and clients.
- Government support for providers and workers
We provide support to Australian Government-funded aged care services (residential and in-home care) with a COVID-19 outbreak. This includes additional personal protective equipment, workforce support and reimbursing costs related to COVID-19.
- Information for CHSP service providers
Advice on changes to the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) during COVID-19 including flexibility provisions, emergency funding, unspent funds, access to personal protective equipment (PPE), workforce and conducting assessments.
COVID-19 advice for organisations that provide:
State and territory aged care COVID-19 information
Your state or territory has the latest information on COVID-19 for your local area. Make sure you stay up to date on visitor restrictions, PPE requirements and other measures relating to COVID-19 in aged care.
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
Resources and training
- COVID-19 resources for aged care services
- Online infection control training for aged care workers
- Webinars for the aged care sector
- The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission’s COVID-19 page, which includes an overview of their compliance approach during the pandemic.
- Advice for aged care facilities in Victoria
For aged care workers
- Managing your health and working arrangements
Read information about when you must not work, temperature checks, testing, taking leave, and accessing government support and payments.
- Helping to stop the spread
Read about what you can do to help keep your workplace safe and stop the spread of COVID-19. This includes practising good hygiene, getting the flu vaccine, training, and correctly wearing personal protective equipment.
For residents, families and friends
- Advice and resources for aged care workers
Information about when you must not work, temperature checks, testing, taking leave, and accessing government support and payments.