Residential aged care pricing activities – access for the Independent Health and Aged Care Pricing Authority
Approved residential aged care providers must, if requested to participate in pricing activities, give the Independent Health and Aged Care Pricing Authority (IHACPA) access and assistance to:
- all areas on premises of services (other than personal rooms of residents not part of pricing activities)
- residents who are participating in pricing activities
- staff on premises during a pricing activity
- provider records.
This will help IHACPA develop up-to-date pricing that reflects the true costs of delivering residential aged care.
For more information, see Section 10.1 of the Australian National Aged Care Classification (AN-ACC) funding guide.
Webinar - Digital Transformation Tech Talk
We are inviting you to join us for an ongoing conversation via the Digital Transformation Tech Talk webinar series.
When: Thursday 7 September, 2pm (AEST).
At the webinar we will:
- share an update on the department’s broader data and digital strategy,
- hear from the Australian Digital Health Agency (ADHA)
- provide a playback on some of our key digital transformation initiatives
- answer your questions live.
Webinar - Neuropsychological aspects of dementia
This webinar is for people who work in aged care, as well as psychologists, social workers, counsellors and volunteers who work with older people.
Neuropsychologist Dr Luke Smith will outline the changes in social cognition, behaviour and thinking that can occur as a result of neurodegenerative diseases, and the strategies to manage these symptoms.
The presentation includes clinical examples of manifestations of trauma in delirium and the impact of trauma on older adults.
When: Friday 15 September, 4.45‑6pm AEST.
COVID-19 Additional vaccine dose recommendation
If it has been 6 months since receiving a COVID-19 vaccine, an additional dose:
- is recommended for people aged 75 or older
- should be considered for people aged 65-74, following discussion with their health care provider.
Aged care residents who have not yet received any booster dose this year are advised to do so.
Residential aged care homes are responsible for ensuring residents have access to recommended COVID-19 vaccine doses.
Visit the department’s website for information
24/7 registered nurse reporting for August now due
24/7 registered nurse (RN) coverage reporting for August in GPMS is due by 11:59pm AEST Thursday 7 September 2023.
Providers that fail to report:
- may be referred to the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission for not meeting their reporting obligations
- will not receive any August 24/7 RN supplement (if eligible)
- will be recorded as not having completed their 24/7 RN reporting in the facility level RN coverage list published on the department’s website.
For information on 24/7 RN coverage reported in July see:
Changes to care minutes allocations
Care minutes allocations for each Australian National Aged Care Classification (AN-ACC) class will change from 1 October 2023.
These changes ensure care minutes targets align with services’ care funding through AN-ACC, and better match care time with residents’ needs.
The care minutes allocations for each AN-ACC class are used to calculate care minutes targets for residential aged care services. This means from 1 October 2023, the mandatory targets you are required to meet may be different to your current targets.
To prepare for any changes, estimate the care minutes targets for your services using the AN-ACC funding and care minutes estimator.
Grant opportunity - Specialist Dementia Care Program
A grant opportunity for the Specialist Dementia Care Program is open for eligible aged care providers located in the following Primary Health Network regions:
- New South Wales
- Central and Eastern Sydney (South Eastern Sydney LHD region)
- Murrumbidgee (Wagga Wagga region)
- Western Sydney
- Western NSW (Orange region)
- Brisbane South
- Central Queensland, Wide Bay, Sunshine Coast (Sunshine Coast region)
- Darling Downs and West Moreton
- Gippsland (Traralgon or Bairnsdale region)
- Murray (Bendigo region)
- Western Australia
- Country WA (Albany or Bunbury region)
We will hold an information webinar for each state. To register click on the link for each state in the above list.
Grant information, including eligibility requirements is on GrantConnect (GO5304)
Applications close Monday 6 November 2023, 2pm (AEDT).