Expanding the QI Program
The National Aged Care Mandatory Quality Indicator Program (QI Program) currently requires residential aged care providers to report on crucial areas of care to support quality improvement and better health outcomes for older Australians.
We are expanding the QI Program from 1 April 2023 to include the following quality indicators:
- Activities of daily living – Percentage of care recipients who experienced a decline in activities of daily living
- Incontinence care – Percentage of care recipients who experienced incontinence associated dermatitis
- Hospitalisation – Percentage of care recipients who had one or more emergency department presentations
- Workforce – Percentage of staff turnover
- Consumer experience – Percentage of care recipients who report ‘good’ or ‘excellent’ experience of the service
- Quality of life – Percentage of care recipients who report ‘good’ or ‘excellent’ quality of life.
The additional quality indicators for residential aged care have been confirmed and the updated draft QI Program Manual 3.0 – Part A is available now.
Approved providers must:
- start collecting new quality indicators in the April – June 2023 quarter
- submit quality indicator data in the 1 – 21 July 2023 reporting period.
Introducing these new quality indicators by July 2023 aligns with recommendations of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.