Additional $20 million for research into mental health and suicide prevention
The Australian Government is providing more than $20 million additional funding through the Medical Research Future Fund for research to improve mental health care and reduce suicide rates in Australia.
Almost half of Australians will experience a mental illness in their lifetimes, and as we battle COVID-19 it’s more important than ever that we prioritise mental health.
The Government's Medical Research Future Fund is providing new grants for:
- rapid research on the mental health impacts of COVID-19
- suicide prevention research
- research to improve mental health treatment using pharmacogenomics (how genetics can affect a person’s response to certain drugs)
For more details, see the media release.
The MRFF provides these grants under 2 of its initiatives:
- Million Minds Mental Health Research Mission
- Emerging Priorities and Consumer-Driven Research initiative