Our 2nd 10-year Investment Plan for world-class medical research
The Australian Government announced the $6.3 billion, 2nd 10-year Investment Plan for the MRFF. This plan continues our support for lifesaving research, job creation, local industry and growing Australia’s reputation as a world leader in medical research. It builds on investments made through the 1st 10-year Investment Plan.
This theme aims to bring benefits to patients, including supporting life-changing clinical trials, funding innovative treatments and advanced health care and medical technologies.
Initiatives under the Patients theme:
This theme aims to support Australian researchers, including to help build their skills and capacity, support their research in priority areas and assist them to develop and bring new research discoveries to the market.
Initiatives under the Researchers theme:
- Clinician Researchers
- Early to Mid-Career Researchers
- Frontier Health and Medical Research
- Researcher Exchange and Development within Industry
MRFF Research Missions are large programs of work that bring together key researchers, health professionals, stakeholders, industry partners and patients to tackle big health challenges.
Initiatives under the Researcher Missions theme:
- Australian Brain Cancer Mission
- Cardiovascular Health Mission
- Dementia, Ageing and Aged Care Mission
- Genomics Health Futures Mission
- Indigenous Health Research Fund
- Million Minds Mental Health Research Mission
- Stem Cell Therapies Mission
- Traumatic Brain Injury Mission
This theme aims to translate research outcomes into practice by building the evidence base to support the adoption of best practice care into health care delivery.
Initiatives under the Research Translation theme:
- Medical Research Commercialisation
- National Critical Research Infrastructure
- Preventive and Public Health Research
- Primary Health Care Research
- Rapid Applied Research Translation
- Research Data Infrastructure