In developing programs of action special attention should be given to the context and challenges facing young Australians. Actions should:
- Concentrate on solutions not problems—with a bias for action on health promoting environments.
- Be long-term and sustainable, recognising that behaviour change is complex, difficult and takes time.
- Engage the whole community—healthy weight is everybody’s business.
- Help those most in need and close the health gap between different population groups as a result of geography, ethnicity, and socio-economic status.
- Promote the positive benefits of healthy eating, active living and healthy weight.
- Reduce stigmatisation and avoid blaming young people, parents or carers.
- Empower and assist all groups to take action according to their own opportunities and responsibilities.