It also provides information on graduates and college fellows for 2012. Additional information on overseas trained doctors and the countries in which they undertook their studies, those who applied for, and those who have been granted visas to work in Australia is also included to complete the picture of the supply of medical practitioners.
The data for the report was provided by Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand Inc, state and territory health departments through their postgraduate medical councils, medical colleges, General Practice Education and Training Limited, the Australian Medical Council, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and this Department. Health Workforce Australia collated the data to assist in the production of the report.
All tables in the main body of the report present the latest available data. Trends are analysed in relation to data for the latest five years. Where data are available from previous years, the information has been included in Appendix D to the report.
Six new tables listed below were included in this edition of the MTRP report:
- Medical graduates by type of student place: number and proportion of places, 2008-2012.
- New commencing medical students by type of student place and university, 2013.
- Preferred type of medical practice in final year of medical degree, by gender, 2012.
- Preferred type of medical practice in postgraduate year 1, by gender, 2012.
- Obstetrics and gynaecology advanced trainees: total, proportion of total and females by subspecialty, 2013.
- Obstetrics and gynaecology: new fellows and females by subspecialty, 2012.
The following tables have been updated with additional data:
- Table 2.15 Commencing domestic students with a rural background by state/territory, 2013 – additional column with Rural Clinical Training and Support Program information.
- Table 3.1: Commencing postgraduate year 1 trainees or supervised training positions: Total, females and proportion of females by doctor category and state/territory, 2013 – additional row with Commonwealth funded postgraduate year 1 trainees.
- Table 3.2: Commencing postgraduate year 1 trainees by state/territory, 2009–2013 – additional row for Commonwealth funded Postgraduate Year 1 trainees.
The extended data trend tables on domestic and international commencing medical students present information by university and state and territory from 2005-2013. A full set of tables on basic and advanced vocational training has been included, providing statistics by medical specialties and state and territory for all trainees, commencing and female trainees, as well as an examination of the trends with data on these back to 2000.
Appendix E with Data Specifications and Appendix F with vocational training program terminology are also included.
Given the differing collection methodologies for diverse sets of data, the year for which data are reported varies. The majority of the data presented in the report is for 2013, with most data reported at 30 June 2013. The exceptions to these are data on medical graduates, college examinations and college fellows, which are for the previous calendar year, 2012. Administrative data from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and this Department are for 2012-13. Where possible, time series data have been included as an appendix to the report dating back to 1997, the first year in which the MTRP reported.
Further information on medical college training processes and requirements is also appended.
Medical Training Review Panel: seventeenth report (online)
Word version: Medical Training Review Panel: seventeenth report (Word 2MB)
PDF version: Medical Training Review Panel: seventeenth report (PDF 2.5 MB)
If you are having difficulty accessing the PDF, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for an alternate version to be sent to you.