The Medical Benefits Division (MBD) aims to improve the health outcomes of Australian residents by providing policy advice to government and program management that will support and improve access to hearing, private medical, hospital and allied health services that are safe, cost effective and clinically effective.
Our key roles are:
- Access to affordable and clinically relevant medical services through Medicare
- Long-term financial sustainability of the Australian Government’s contribution to the health system through the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) and under the indemnity arrangements
- Health policy and practice informed by well-developed research capabilities and sound evidence–based advice
- Administer and manage the delivery of the Australian Government Hearing Services Program which aims to reduce the incidence and consequences of avoidable hearing loss in the Australian community and to provide access to high quality hearing services and devices.
The organisational structure for the Division comprises:
- Primary Care, Analytics and Pathology Branch
- MBS Policy and Specialist Services Branch*
- MBS Reviews Branch
- Hearing">Hearing and Diagnostic Imaging Services Branch
*Internal reconfiguration pending to deliver dedicated policy function.