Eligibility to Receive Subsidised Stoma Products

Page last updated: 17 March 2014

To receive subsidised stoma products, a person must:

  • Have a temporary or permanent body opening (whether natural or surgically created), which facilitates the removal of urine and products of the gastrointestinal tract where the person does not have normal gastrointestinal tract or bladder functions;
  • Lodge a completed Stoma Appliance Scheme Application to the Department of Human Services through their nominated stoma association; and
  • Hold a SAS entitlement card issued by the Department of Human Services.

The SAS Schedule lists products that have been approved by the Department of Health to be issued to eligible people. The Schedule determines the maximum quantity a person can receive each month, the price of the product and whether there are any restrictions. If a person requires a product not listed on the Schedule, the person will need to pay the full price.

There are provisions under the Scheme to receive additional supplies where the monthly allocation does not meet ongoing needs. A person requiring additional supplies is required to lodge a completed Application for Additional Stoma Supplies to the Department of Human Services through his/her nominated stoma association.

People temporarily travelling overseas are entitled to up to six months advance supply subject to providing proof of travel and prior arrangement with their stoma associations.

Please note that application or authorisation form must be completed by a Stomal Therapy Nurse (STN) or a Medical Professional.