The Strategy will identify priority actions for:
- informing/guiding medical workforce planning and policy development at all levels;
- determining the mix and distribution of hospital, primary care and specialist practitioners required to meet future care needs; and
- providing the right support for medical practitioners to deliver high quality services where they are needed including education and training, and promoting safe working environments.
The National Medical Workforce Strategy Fact Sheet provides an overview of the Strategy’s broad objectives.
The Commonwealth Department of Health has commenced a scoping exercise which will be completed by mid-2019.
Scoping will result in a framework for developing the Strategy that includes:
- the core principles;
- the case for collaboration; and
- priority medical workforce issues that the Strategy will address.
Two consultation processes will support the development of the Strategy.
Focussed consultations will be held with the states and territories and a cross-section of key medical sector organisations and doctors.
The scoping framework consultations will include:
- a series of one-to-one interviews with representatives from key stakeholders to define priority medical workforce issues.
- forums in Sydney (20 May), Perth (23 May) and Mount Gambier (27 May).
A wider consultation will occur with the medical profession. This broader consultation will ensure the Strategy proposes practical and achievable responses to the identified priorities.
The Medical Workforce Reform Advisory Committee (MWRAC), formerly the National Medical Training Advisory Network, identified the need for collaborative workforce planning and will lead the Strategy’s development.
The Strategy received COAG Health Council support in March 2019. Prior to this, the Strategy received the endorsement of the Health Services Principle Committee and the Australian Health Minister’s Advisory Committee.Further information
For further Information on the Strategy and consultations please contact email@example.com.