The Government is now operating in accordance with the Caretaker Conventions pending the outcome of the 2022 federal election.

Advice for residential aged care facilities in Victoria

Information from the Victorian Aged Care Response Centre (VACRC) for aged care facilities dealing with COVID-19 in Victoria. Includes information about Victorian health direction and advice.

Victorian health direction and advice

The Victorian Department of Health provides health direction and advice for aged care residents, families, friends, loved ones, families of choice and communication representatives, and aged care workers and providers.

See the Victorian Department of Health, Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources and information for the aged care sector webpage for:

  • supporting residents
  • guidance and tools for aged care facilities
  • supporting aged care workers.

COVID-19 Victorian RACFs advice line

You can call the VACRC for information on what to do next if your facility has:

  • a confirmed COVID-19 exposure (staff or visitor positive), or
  • your facility is exposed to a COVID-19 case.

Learn more about the advice line.

Monitoring safety and quality of aged care services

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission monitors safety and quality in aged care services. A review audit is an onsite assessment of the quality of care and services provided to aged care residents by an accredited server. Audits are undertaken with or without notice to the service provider.

The Commission undertakes a review audit when:

  • it considers that the approved provider may not be meeting the Quality Standards in relation to the service; or
  • the Commissioner becomes aware of a change in circumstances for the approved provider.

You can make a formal complaint or raise concerns by contacting the Commission’s free Complaints Resolution Service or by calling 1800 951 822.

Mental health support

If you feel grief or loss because of COVID-19, or you are finding work is difficult from the impacts of the pandemic, support is available.

The Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement have free and easy to use services, tailored to your own needs - including in-person help where possible.

Call 1800 222 200, visit the Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement website or download the My Grief app.

COVID-19 may have also exposed old or new emotional and mental trauma. While some people recover, others may develop mental health problems and need help.

Phoenix Australia offers information and tools to support those affected by traumatic experiences, and for those who care for them. Resources include information on trauma and grief for older people and fact sheets, webinars and training for aged care workers.

Senior Australians living in aged care facilities and their families can also contact the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) for COVID-19 advisory support and advocacy. Call OPAN on 1800 700 600 or visit the Older Persons Advocacy Network website.

All services are free, confidential and are respectful of people’s culture, religion, identity and lifestyles.

131 450 for Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS), ask for your language to connect.

1300 010 877 for Auslan Connections, email interpreter.bookings [at], fax 07 3892 8511 or SMS 0407 647 591.

Crisis support is also available from Lifeline and Beyond Blue, see Head to Health, or talk to your GP.

Waste Management – Clinical Waste (Victoria)

Victoria has seen significant changes in waste generation associated with the pandemic.

To manage clinical and related waste the Victorian government has created a survey to understand the volumes and waste management on your site.

Clinical Waste Backlog Survey QR code

Complete the clinical waste backlog survey

For assistance contact waste.emergency [at]

Read the guidelines for disposal of COVID-19-related waste.


Last updated: 
18 February 2022

Help us improve

If you would like a response please use the enquiries form instead.