Translating and Interpreting Service for aged care service providers
Approved providers of government-subsidised aged care can use the Translating and Interpreting Service for free when discussing care needs, fees, care plans and budgets with clients. The Australian Government funds these services so that all people can take an active role in their aged care.
What interpreting services are available for approved providers?
The Australian Government’s Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) provides:
- immediate phone interpreting — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- pre-booked phone interpreting
- on-site interpreting
- Automated Telephone Interpreting Service (ATIS)
Approved providers can use TIS National for free to support discussions with care recipients about their care or available services.
This ensures all people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds can play an active role in their care.
View the languages available through TIS National. Auslan interpreting is not available.
Who is eligible?
You can access TIS National for free if you’re an approved provider of:
- Commonwealth Continuity of Support Programme services
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) services
- Home Care Packages
- residential aged care
- short-term restorative care
- Transition Care Programme services
When can you use TIS National?
You can use TIS National for free to meet your responsibilities as an approved provider, such as to:
- discuss care needs, services and preferences with your client
- discuss fees and charges
- develop or review care documents, such as agreements, care plans and budgets
You should use phone interpreting services unless there’s a genuine need for an on-site interpreter.
If you use TIS National for other reasons, you must pay for the service through your funding or the client’s budget.
Registering for TIS National
To access TIS National for free, you must get a TIS National client code. If you provide aged care services through different government programs, you need a separate code for each one.
TIS National will email you the client code after you register for TIS online.
For the first 4 questions of the registration form, answer as follows:
- Category — select ‘Commonwealth Government Agency’
- Sub-category — select ‘Other Commonwealth Government agency’
- Name of organisation or agency — enter the name of your organisation
- Section name — enter the relevant program name:
- Aged Care Facilities Programme (use this for residential aged care facilities)
- Home Care Packages Program
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme
- Continuity of Support Programme
- Short-Term Restorative Care Programme
- Transition Care Programme
Accessing TIS National
You need to provide your TIS National client code when you use TIS National or book a TIS National service.
If you need to use TIS National urgently and you do not have a client code, contact the TIS Client Liaison Team.
Who works with us on TIS National?
The Australian Government funds the free TIS National services for approved providers.
The Department of Health develops policy for these services. We monitor the use of free TIS National services by approved providers and update policy as needed.
The Department of Home Affairs provides TIS National services.
Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National)
TIS National is for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.