Sign language interpreting for Australian Government–subsidised aged care services
If you provide Australian Government–subsidised aged care services, you can access free sign language interpreting services to support clients who are deaf, deafblind, or hard of hearing.
Available sign language interpreting services
The Department of Health funds Auslan Connections to provide free sign language interpreting services to aged care service providers.
Their services include:
- national face-to-face and video remote interpreting services 7 days a week including after business hours when required
- sign language services such as Auslan, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages, American Sign Language, International Sign Language, and Signed English
- tactile signing and hand-over-hand signing for deafblind people.
You can use these services to help your clients engage with and take part in their aged care services. If you use these services for other reasons, you must pay for them through your funding or the client’s budget.
For services in other languages, see translating and interpreting services for aged care service providers.
Who is eligible
Your organisation is eligible if it provides the following aged care services:
- Aged Care System Navigators
- My Aged Care
- Regional Assessment Services
- Aged Care Assessment Teams
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme
- Home Care Packages
- Residential aged care
- Other aged care services subsidised by the Australian Government
Accessing sign language interpreting services
Clients making their own booking for free sign language interpreting services can also do so by contacting Auslan Connections below. Clients will not require a booking code.
Clients using aged care services can also ask their service provider or assessment organisation to book an interpreter on their behalf.
For service providers
When your organisation contacts Auslan Connections for the first time to make an appointment, they will register your organisation on the booking platform.
Once registered you will receive a booking code, which you must use each time you book an interpreting service.
To book sign language interpreting services you can:
- book online
- call: 1300 010 877
- email: interpreter.bookings [at] deafservices.org.au
- fax: 07 3892 8511
- SMS: 0407 647 591
Book as soon as possible to make sure an interpreter is available.