Monthly statements for Home Care Packages
Monthly statements are for people with Home Care Packages. The statements show their available funds, how the funds are being spent and the amount of unspent funds. Home care providers must give monthly statements to each care recipient.
Improved Payment Arrangements (IPA)
We encourage you to check the Improved payment arrangements for home care webpage, to access information about how this initiative impacts delivery of the Home Care Packages Program.
What are monthly statements?
Monthly statements are for people who receive Home Care Packages. The statements show:
- the available funds in their package at the start of the month
- a breakdown of funds received and spent during the month
- the amount of unspent funds remaining at the end of the month
The Department has developed a Better Practice HCP Monthly Statement Template (template) for Providers as part of our commitment to improving the HCP Program for care recipients. The template will support Providers to improve the overall quality of their HCP statements, making it easier for care recipients to understand and be supported to make informed choices around use of Package funds for their care.
The template also aligns with the Improved Payment Arrangements reform that came into effect on 1 September 2021.
A Provider Guidance document is also available, which gives a detailed explanation of the better practice template and how to use it effectively.
What to include
A person’s monthly statement must include the total amount of:
- home care subsidies you have received or are due to receive in that month on their behalf
- home care fees they have paid or are due to pay in that month
- funds from previous months that you have not spent.
You must also include:
- a list of the services provided during that month
- the amount you have spent or are due to spend in that month for each service
- the total amount you have spent or are due to spend for all services in that month
- any transfer portions received for the person from another provider in that month
When to provide a monthly statement
Once care and services start, you must:
- provide monthly statements for any month you provide home care (even if you only provide care on one day)
- do this as soon as possible after you have all the information you need.
Discussing the monthly statement
You must also help a person to understand their monthly statement. If needed, use the Translating and Interpreting Service.
This should be part of your ongoing care discussions with the person.
The Department has developed a Consumer Guidance document that can help care recipients better understand their monthly statement including how their home care budget has been spent and what funds are available.
For full details, go to 21B — Monthly statement of available funds and expenditure to be given to care recipient in the User Rights Principles 2014.