Tobacco control legislation review
We have been reviewing our tobacco control legislation to make sure that it is fit for purpose and effective. Learn more about our review process.
Tobacco control legislation
Our tobacco control legislation includes:
- Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992
- Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Regulation 1993
- Tobacco Plain Packaging Act 2011
- Tobacco Plain Packaging Regulations 2011
We have been reviewing this legislation to make sure that it:
- is still effective
- responds to changes in technology
What we are reviewing
The review is looking at:
- what is working well in the current legislation
- what, if any, changes we can make to the legislation
- whether any provisions in the legislation are redundant
- whether any parts of the legislation are overcomplicated, ambiguous or unclear
- whether regulations can be simpler and easier to enforce
- any other aspects of tobacco control that the Australian Government should consider and prioritise
How we review this legislation
We involve a range of stakeholders when we review legislation.
For this review process we:
- opened a publicly available online consultation from January to March 2019
- ran a series of stakeholder workshops from May to July 2019
You can view the public submissions and read the outcomes of the process on our Consultation Hub.
Tobacco control legislation review contact
Contact the tobacco control legislation review team for further information about the review process for tobacco control legislation.