Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety
On 16 September 2018, the Australian Government announced a Royal Commission into the aged care sector. The Royal Commission is looking at the quality of residential and in-home aged care and will provide a final report by 12 November 2020.
When did it start?
The Royal Commission started on 8 October 2018.
What is the commission doing?
The Royal Commission is looking at:
- the quality and safety of residential and in-home aged care for older people
- the quality and safety of care for young people with disabilities living in aged care homes, including:
- the extent to which these services meet peoples’ needs
- the extent of substandard care, including mistreatment and all forms of abuse
- the causes of any systemic failures
- actions that should be taken in response
- how to best deliver aged care services to:
- people with disabilities living in aged care homes (including younger people)
- people living with dementia
- how to give people more control and choice in relation to their care, and improving engagement with families and carers
- what the government, aged care sector, families and community can do to ensure quality and safety in aged care
- how to best deliver aged care services in a sustainable way through:
- innovative models of care
- use of technology
- investment in the aged care workforce and capital infrastructure
- the future challenges and opportunities for delivering accessible, affordable and high quality aged care services in Australia, including in:
- the context of changing demographics and preferences, i.e. people's wish to stay in their own home as they age
- remote, rural and regional Australia
The Royal Commission will provide:
- an interim report by 31 October 2019
- a final report by 12 November 2020
Find out more and have your say
Visit the Royal Commission website to find out about:
If you have an urgent matter, please contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission.
- 16 September 2018 — Prime Minister announces the Royal Commission
- 9 October 2018 — Prime Minister announces the terms of reference