Medical Research Future Fund – our 10-year investment plan
The Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) is a $20 billion long-term investment supporting Australian health and medical research. Our 10-year plan for the MRFF supports life-saving and job-creating medical research, reaffirming Australia’s reputation as a global leader in the field.
Our 10-year investment plan for world-class medical research
The Government announced a $5 billion, 10-year investment plan for the MRFF as part of its 2019–20 Budget. This plan continues our support for lifesaving research and gives researchers and industry certainty and direction.
Supporting our best and brightest researchers to make breakthrough discoveries, develop their skills and progress their careers in Australia.
Initiatives under the Researchers theme:
- Frontier Health and Medical Research
- Researcher Exchange and Development within Industry
- Clinician Researchers
Prioritising large, long-term investments in complex, high-priority areas to transform the quality of care and improve patient outcomes.
Initiatives under the Research Missions theme:
- Australian Brain Cancer Mission
- Million Minds Mental Health Research Mission
- Genomics Health Futures Mission
- Dementia, Ageing and Aged Care Mission
- Indigenous Health Research Fund
- Stem Cell Therapies Mission
- Cardiovascular Health Mission
- Traumatic Brain Injury Mission
Ensuring we convert medical research into useful, commercially viable, practical applications that improve Australians’ health.
Initiatives under the Research Translation theme:
- Preventive and Public Health Research
- Primary Health Care Research
- Rapid Applied Research Translation
- Medical Research Commercialisation
- National Critical Research Infrastructure
- Research Data Infrastructure