This section of the website has been revised and re-formatted for easy access and use.
It contains information on the following Statistics in Excel and PDF formats:
- Quarterly Medicare Statistics – September Quarter 1984 onwards
- Annual Medicare Statistics – Financial Year 2007-08 to 2014-15
Statistics for Remoteness Area (RA) differ from what was published prior to December quarter 2015 release due to the use of the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) RA classification 2011. Publications prior to December quarter 2015 release were based on the ABS RA classification 2006.
Quarterly and Annual Medicare Statistics Coverage:
- Summary statistics;
- Number of services and bulk billing services;
- Benefit paid and fee charged;
- Schedule fee and schedule fee observance; and
- Average patient contribution for out-of-hospital and patient billed services.
Additional Annual Medicare Statistics:
- Number of services and number of services per capita from financial year 2002-03 onwards;
- Benefit paid and benefit paid per capita from financial year 2002-03 onwards; and
- Patient statistics including number of patients, patients as percent of population, number of services per patient, and benefit paid per patient;
- Estimated Resident Population (ERP) data which allows calculation of other per capita statistics.
- Non-referred GP/VR attendances
- Enhanced Primary Care attendances
- Practice Nurse items; and
- Other non-referred attendances.
General Practice (GP) StatisticsInformation on GP workforce under the MBS is available through the General Practice Statistics web page.
For further inquiries and feedback on the new tables, email MBS Statistics.