This project has been undertaken in line with review requirements for evaluation of lapsing Australian Government funded programs.
A mixed methods approach has been implemented for the evaluation. Information has been collected from existing and new sources of data identified in the construction of an evaluation framework. The framework is populated by the outcomes for the Breastfeeding Helpline, evaluation questions designed to determine progress towards the outcomes and a set of indicators to provide measures of performance.
Key information sources for the evaluation included:
- ABA data that underpin reports to the Department of Health and Ageing;
- surveys of Breastfeeding Counsellors working on the Helpline and callers;
- stakeholder interviews with the Department, ABA, professional associations and state and territory governments;
- focus groups with mothers of infants; and
- targeted literature review.