Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities continue to face significant public health issues and challenges around BBVs and STIs including:
- sustained and unacceptably high rates of bacterial STIs
- the rate of acquisition of HIV and viral hepatitis through injecting drug use
- continued new HIV infections among men who have sex with men.
- bacterial STIs refer to the infections of chlamydia trachomatis (chlamydia), infectious syphilis and gonorrhoea
- other STIs include trichomoniasis, HIV and hepatitis B
- BBVs refer to HIV, hepatitis B and C
- Hepatitis B and HIV are recognised as both STIs and BBVs.