The overarching objectives of the Strategy are to reduce the causes, prevalence and impact of suicide on individuals, their families and communities. These goals will be achieved by action that involves many parties and that is sustained over time.
The goals of the Strategy are to:
- Reduce the incidence and impact of suicide and suicidal behaviour in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population and in specific communities affected by suicide.
- Ensure that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and populations are supported within available resources to respond to high levels of suicide and/or self-harming behaviour with effective prevention strategies.
- Implement effective activities that reduce the presence and impact of risk factors that contribute to suicide outcomes in the short, medium and long term and across the lifespan.
- Build the participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the workforce in fields related to suicide prevention, early intervention and social and emotional wellbeing through the provision of training, skills and professional qualifications at all levels.
- Build the evidence base to support effective action and to evaluate the outcomes of suicide prevention activity at local, regional and national levels.
- Make high quality resources, information and methods to support suicide prevention for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples available across all contexts and circumstances.