All surveyed services provide supervision to their clinical staff, and 13 provide more than one type of supervision. The majority provide supervision on a regular basis and from an internal and/or external supervisor, as well as regular case presentations and discussions (see table 26 below for details). Compared to small services, medium-sized and large organisations are more likely to provide a larger number of different types of supervision.
One service noted that 'supervisors have undertaken specific training for this role'. Another service reported that apart from the regular supervision provided by an internal supervisor, some staff members access and pay for external supervision, and that peer supervision occurs regularly. One respondent pointed to differences between MH and AOD services with the following comment:
Clinical Supervision [is] widespread /part of the furniture within clinical mental health services while managerial supervision only is the norm in AOD services (with more resistance to establishing good access to routine CS). I have provided group CS to whole AOD teams as a strategy to increase their dual diagnosis capability.
Most clinical staff receive one to two hours of supervision per month (see table 27 below). Three respondents noted that more supervision would be provided on a needs basis or for complex clients. It was also noted that the hours of clinical supervision vary for mental health workers.
Table 26: Frequency and type of clinical supervisionTable 26 is presented as a list in this HTML version for accessibility reasons. It is presented as a table in the PDF version.
Response frequency of clinical supervision types:
- On a regular basis and from a supervisor within the service - 14
- Regular case presentations and discussions - 9
- On a regular basis and from an external supervisor - 8
- Group supervision from a supervisor within the service - 5
- Occasional case presentations and discussions - 4
- Group supervision from an external supervisor - 4
- On a needs basis and from an external supervisor - 3
- On a needs basis and from a supervisor within the service - 1
- No supervision - 0
- Not applicable (no clinical staff) - 0
Table 27: Hours of clinical supervision per monthTable 27 is presented as a list in this HTML version for accessibility reasons. It is presented as a table in the PDF version.
Response frequency for hours of clinical supervision per month:
- One to two hours - 11
- Three to five hours - 4
- Six to ten hours - 1
- Eleven to Fifteen hours - 1
- Total - 17