Healthy Weight 2008 - Australia's Future - The National Action Agenda for children and young people and their families
'Whole of Community' Demonstration Areas - (integrated actions from all the Settings implemented in discrete population areas as potential models for wider long term implementation in other communities and to enhance community ownership and capacity for sustained action-previous examples have been effective)
- Improved understanding of ways to intervene effectively through innovation involving all sectors, organisations, population groups and methodologies.
- Increased encouragement and application of ‘good practice’ interventions across Australia through dissemination of the learnings from the ‘whole of community’ demonstration areas.
- Improved levels of commitment and investment across Australia through all jurisdictions actively participating in ‘whole of community’ demonstration areas.
Health sector leadership:
- Select, designate and resource at least one ‘whole of community’ demonstration area in each State and Territory (including at least two Indigenous communities) which comprises comprehensive, community-wide interventions that are evaluated.
- Establish a network of demonstration areas, and through a planned and systematic mechanism actively exchange experiences, opportunities and results.
- Establish a professional support unit and clearinghouse, to provide technical assistance, training, analysis and evaluation of the demonstration areas.
- Initiate a proactive dissemination and professional development strategy to inform policy and interventions, and strengthen capacity throughout the whole of Australia.
Collaboration across sectors:
- Establish mechanisms to disseminate findings to other sectors particularly education and local government.
- Establish a pool of ‘local champions/leaders of good practice’ within demonstration areas to provide local support (eg skills and experiences) to a range of sectors.