Healthy Weight 2008 - Australia's Future - The National Action Agenda for children and young people and their families
In developing programs of action special attention should be given to the context and challenges facing young Australians. Actions should:
- Concentrate on solutions not problems—with a bias for action on health promoting environments.
- Be long-term and sustainable, recognising that behaviour change is complex, difficult and takes time.
- Engage the whole community—healthy weight is everybody’s business.
- Help those most in need and close the health gap between different population groups as a result of geography, ethnicity, and socio-economic status.
- Promote the positive benefits of healthy eating, active living and healthy weight.
- Reduce stigmatisation and avoid blaming young people, parents or carers.
- Empower and assist all groups to take action according to their own opportunities and responsibilities.