Healthy Weight 2008 - Australia's Future - The National Action Agenda for children and young people and their families
In response to the escalating prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity, the initial focus of a national effort will be on children and young people (0-18 years) and the families that influence and support them. This has the potential in the longer term to reduce overweight and obesity in the broader adult population. The goals of Healthy Weight 2008 are:
1. Achieve healthier weight in children and young people through actions which first stop and then reverse the increasing rates of overweight and obesity.
2. Increase the proportion of children and young people who participate in and maintain healthy eating and adequate physical activity.
3. Strengthen children, young people, families and communities with the knowledge, skills, responsibility and resources to achieve optimal weight throughhealthy eating and active living.
4. Address the broader social and environmental determinants of poor nutrition and sedentary lifestyles.
5. Focus action on giving children, young people and families the best possible chance to maintain healthy weight through their everyday contacts and settings.