Healthy Weight 2008 - Australia's Future - The National Action Agenda for children and young people and their families
- Improved environments and learning experiences in family and community care settings, which promote healthy eating and active play.
- Improved knowledge, confidence, skills and resources in family and community care workers to promote healthy eating and active living with their clients.
- Improved referral of clients to appropriate and affordable support services and facilities—especially for parents of overweight young people.
Health sector leadership:
Seek and joint Call to Action with relevant Children and Family Services and Health Ministers.
- Develop, disseminate and promote physical activity guidelines for children under five.
- Disseminate, promote and implement the NHMRC Dietary Guidelines for Children and Adolescents.
Collaboration across sectors:
- Introduce ‘good practice’ standards on healthy eating and physical activity that meet the above guidelines and build into the accreditation and funding frameworks.
- Implement ‘good practice’ interventions, including training for family and community care workers and information and support for parents, grandparents and carers on active living and healthy eating.
- Ensure that, where relevant, assistance with living skills includes assistance with food preparation and developing healthy eating habits.