Healthy Weight 2008 - Australia's Future - The National Action Agenda for children and young people and their families
Support for Families and Community-Wide Education (including public policy and support strategies for families, and planned mass media communication and education)
- Increased community understanding of the need for sustained effort to improve levels of healthy eating and physical activity amongst young people, and that everyone has a role to play in supporting Healthy Weight 2008.
- Increased knowledge, skills, attitudes and intentions of parents, carers and families regarding improving physical activity and healthy eating in young people.
- Increased knowledge, skills, attitudes and intentions of young people regarding their levels of physical activity and healthy eating.
- Improved availability of direct support and assistance to parents and carers to increase levels of physical activity and healthy eating in young people.
Health sector leadership:
- Develop and implement a coordinated a whole of community education and social marketing strategy—acknowledging the needs of different communities particularly Indigenous communities—which links with other relevant communication strategies.
- Support the Australian Fruit and Vegetable Coalition in its work to promote and increase the consumption of vegetables and fruit.
- Develop parent-focused multi-media campaigns with associated support services (eg web site).
- Create and implement an ongoing public relations program and specific marketing initiatives, which support the Healthy Weight 2008 Settings Strategies.
- Develop a national awards program for innovation in promoting healthy eating and active living across the full range of Settings Strategies.
- Establish and promote a common identity and image for all initiatives.