This document discusses some of the evidence relating to preventable health issues for males. It does this by considering risk factors for ill health and behaviour and lifestyle modifications that can improve male health.
What’s in this document?1This document first looks at various issues to do with healthy routines for males:
- Risk factors
- Leading causes of death and burden of disease in males
- Optimal health outcomes for males, and
- Equity between groups of males
- Government action – policies and initiatives, and
- Community action – working together
- Personal action – what males themselves can do
1Most of the discussion refers to ‘males’, but on occasions the term ‘men’ is used to remain consistent with wording used in research papers. Wherever possible, male data is used but, when not available, data has been used for both males and females for particular population groups or issues where inferences for male health can reasonably be drawn.