This document addresses some of the evidence from the literature about male mental health, including specific mental health issues and male help‑seeking behaviour.
What’s in this document? 1This document first looks at various issues to do with male mental health:
- Mental health as part of a holistic approach
- Mental health in Australia
- Optimal health outcomes for males
- Help-seeking behaviours, and
- Equity between groups of males.
- Government action – policies and initiatives
- Community action – working together, and
- Personal action – what males themselves can do.
1 Most of the discussion refers to ‘males’, but on occasions the term ‘men’ is used to remain consistent with wording used in research papers. Wherever possible, male data is used but, when not available, data has been used for both males and females for particular population groups or issues where inferences for male health can reasonably be drawn.