This booklet has something for all older people. It can help you, or someone you care for, and can assist you to plan for the future. Even if you don not experience falls now, preventing them is one of the most important things you can do to maintain your independence as you get older.
This booklet will talk about:
- 'Personal Risk Factors' or things about you
- 'Environmental Risk Factors' or things about your surroundings, either at home or when you go out.
A detailed list of support services is provided on page 29.
The booklet will also discuss the benefits of having an emergency plan and things you can do to minimise the harm done to your body if you do have a fall. You can make a plan for yourself on page 32.
Each section will include:
- Information about how a risk factor increases your risk of falling
- Ideas about things you can do to reduce your risk of falling
- Where you can find help or advice.